بِسْــــــــــــــــــــــمِ اﷲِارَّحْمَنِ ارَّحِيم
السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته
Djedj Tadjine b' zeitoun Algérienne
- 1 whole chicken, cut up into 8 portions
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro (about half cup) roughly chopped
- 1/2 bunch fresh parsely (about half cup) roughly chopped
- Handful of green pitted olives
- 4 large carrot, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic
- few sprigs of fresh thyme
- few threads of saffron (optional - only for colouring)
- half of one confit lemon (preserved lemon) optional
- harissa to taste
- Clean and cut the chicken into smalls pieces. (Leave the skins on, then remove before serving)
- Brown the chicken in oil.
- Chop garlic finely minced spices, parsely and 1 bunch of cilantro.
- Add the remaining ingredients mixing all together well and simmer gently.
- Pour over chicken with 1 cup of water, cover and cook, stirring to reduce the sauce (add 1 cup of water if necessary)
- When the chicken is nearly cooked, add the lemon confit (or the juice of the lemon), olives and second bunch of cilantro.
- Olives should be softened after cooking.
- Finish cooking by checking the seasoning and reduce by reducing the sauce by half.
- This is usually serve with just some crusty bread to sop the juices.but I will think it would nicely with rice or couscous.
Trick: Optionally, add in other types of olives.
Beware of how much salt you add, since the olives are already salty.