Several years ago, I posted about this lovely date bread after talking about over on Cusinetestee forum. Seeing as it's Ramadan, this little special bread finds it way back onto our suhour table. It's a really easy mix bread that packed with healthy ingredients like dates, honey, bran and sesame seeds. We love this bread on lazy weekends as an alternative to the usual brioche or crossiant. It's not too sweet or heavy. Appropriate for children, dieters and many diabetics alike (just adjust the sweetness level to your taste! Dates and honey are much healthier and digestable forms of sweet for the body! It works great for me, since as many of my friends know I am trying to get healthy and back into shape!
Healthy Mini Date Breads
- 1 kg - 5 cups of whole wheat flour (depending on your flour you may need more)
- 750g - 3 cups barley flour
- 2 tablespoon of dry yeast
- 60g - 4 TBS of honey, or to taste
- 60g - 4 tablespoon date molasses, or to taste
- Large pinch cinnamon
- 3 tablespoon orange blossom water
- Enough warm water to make dough (for me about 250 ml - 1 cup)
- Handful (or more) pitted and chopped dates
- Bran (for coating the bottom)
- Handful of Nigella and sesame seeds (or more)
- Sesame seeds (decor)
- 1 Egg + little water for egg wash
- Melted butter or oil (to coating the dough)
- Sift flour to remove and debris. Pour into a large mixing bowl.
- Form a well in the center of the bowl.
- Mix in the orange flower water, chopped dates, and molasses in the bowl.
- Gradually add enough warm water to form a paste
- Knead the dough for about 5-10m.
- Brush the dough with oil or melted butter
- Allow to rise covered with kitchen towel for 45 minutes
- Then knead the dough again.
- Divide the dough into 20 balls
- Now , flattened each ball into thindiscs
- Coat the bottom of the dough balls in his or semolina.
- Brush the top of the discs with egg wash, then sprinkle with sesame seeds
- Place on a parchment lined or greased baking sheet.
- Let rise, covered for 15 minutes.
- Then bake at 200 degrees for 30 minutes until golden brown
Serve with coffee, tea or even milk for breakfast, brunch or suhour.
SubstituteIf you can not find molasses date, you can use carob molasses or black strap molasses. Or even make your syrup 250g dates dates by dipping in boiling 250 ml of water during the night. Then drain the date syrup in a cheesecloth.
Bran here in North African is known by the French name 'le son' or in Derdja as 'ghemkh' It can be purchased by weight in most shoppes that sell flour and semolina by weight.
Let's keep in touch! Sign up for posts delivered right to your e-mail inbox or subscribe to my feed. You can also 'like' me on Facebook, pin posts on Pinterest or follow me on Twitter for all the latest recipes and updates.
share this on
Follow my blog with Bloglovin