بِسْــــــــــــــــــــــمِ اﷲِارَّحْمَنِ ارَّحِيم
السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته
Usually everyone starts to learn to make cakes by Mouskoutchou here in Algeria. And really this cake is so very easy to make, it is no wonder why ...This cake with orange, citrus zest, orange blossom water, rose gernium sugar and olive oil is exploseding with flavour! You can prepare this cake year round but it particularly nice fresh cake to enjoy in the Winter time when oranges are season.
So the next time you are here in Algeria or want a interesting fresh cake, make sure you give this tea time cake a try. I assure you will not regret it! It is an Algerian down fall! A cake extra sweet, extra airy!
Algerian Orange Cake
FOR THE BATTER:
- 1 glass of freshly squeezed orange juice (about 2-3 oranges)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup date sugar
- 3 cups AP flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 packet -11g - 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 packets vanilla sugar (14g)
- 1 packet rose geranium sugar (5g)
- zest of 2 large orange
- Candied orange peel for decor
- Preheat the oven to 180°/350°
- Grease and flour a baking dish of your choice.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs and sugar.
- Add in the oil,zest, juice and blossom water.
- Now sift the dry ingredients.
- Mix everything together well by hand or with a robo.
- Pour the batter into the dish.
- Bake for about 30m or until golden
- While the cake is baking, prepare the candied orange peel:
- The remaining liquid used for the peel is scented with orange. So of course we do not waste it.
- Once the cake is golden and baked well in the center (using a toothpick you can check this) turn the cake out from the form.
- Turn over so the bottom is up then while still hot, pour the hot syrup all over the cake.
- As it cooled the syrup will hardened and form a glossy coating.
- Before serving arrange the orange peel over the cake as the garnish.
The cake keeps well, tightly wrapped, for several days. But be sure to glaze the cake right before you want to serve it.
Do It Yourself
۞ If you cannot find rose geranium sugar, you simply make your own by simply placing handful (about 8) rose geranium leaves in one cup of sugar for about a week. After a week you can use the sugar for cakes, drinks and even bath salts!
optionally omit the rose geranium sugar and use rose water instead for slightly similar taste
۞ You can also use honey instead of the date sugar (or even white sugar 1 cup if you must) If you use honey 3/4 cup reduce the amount of orange juice by 1/4c. And add 1/4 tsp of baking soda to neutralize the flavour of honey.
Another nice way to prepare this cake is if you used a bundt pan to bake it in. Baking time will be slightly longer.