بِسْــــــــــــــــــــــمِ اﷲِارَّحْمَنِ ارَّحِيم
السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته
It has rained a few times in the past week - optimal for the growth of wild mushrooms. Although, mushroom cultivation is something still new to Algeria - wild mushrooms can be found in abundance during Fall and Winter after it rains. Picking wild mushrooms if you are educated in which ones are safe to eat is risky business - but the bléd towns near Bou Ismail and Blida you can find expert foragers selling them.
Here is my favourite way to use them!
(cream of wild mushroom soup)
Yield: 5-6 servings
Prep Time: 10minutes (active) | Cook Time: 40 minutes
- 500g wild mushrooms
- 1/4 cup - 50g flour
- 3 TBS butter
- 2 TBS mild olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 medium onion or 3 schallots
- few dashes of Worcestershire sauce
- few sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 L vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup cream (or crème fraîche)
- handful of parsely
- salt - black pepper
- Clean the mushrooms by peeling off the cap's skin. If the skin is still white, you can just wipe off the debris from the mushrooms. Don't wash them!
- Separate the stems, trim off any bad parts, and coarsely chop the stems.
- Slice the mushroom caps thick and, if there are big, cut them into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- Melt the butter with the olive oil in a pot, add the minced shallot (or onion) and garlic.
- Cook gently until translucent, approx 4 – 5 mins.
- Sprinkle the flour in the pot. Stir and make a roux.
- Now add the mushrooms, herbs, salt, black pepper and stock then cover the pot and cook gently for 15 minutes until the mushrooms have given up all their juices.
- Re-season if needed.
- Add the cream and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Serve in warmed bowls.
۞ Cook’s note: You can now buy fresh button mushrooms in the hypermarket UNO in center de commercial Beb'zarour .
Let's keep in touch! Sign up for posts delivered right to your e-mail inbox or subscribe to my feed. You can also 'like' me on Facebook, pin posts on Pinterest or follow me on Twitter for all the latest recipes and updates.
share this post
share this post